Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Marathon Experience

It would be incomplete if I do not make a post mortem of the whole experience of excitement and achievement of completing Half Marathon. This very thought is making me to express those unfathomable moments of my life.

At 6:30 am, September 17, 2006, dressed in Chisel’s white T-Shirt,.standing in those brown layered tracks sandwiched with blazing white stripes at Kanteerava Stadium amidst two hundred odd half marathon participants, was rearing to go. The upbeat of the drums raised every one’s adrenalin levels to chase that very far and not so far distance of 21 km. “Raghu, you are going to do it, do not return back unless you complete and just keep walking at good pace and don’t stop even for a second; no matter what ever happens” were the words I told to myself before taking that first step.

At 9:10 am, Finish Line, “Yo, I did it! I just can’t believe that I ran half marathon in my life. 21 km at a stretch, Vow, I am feeling proud of myself”, these were the words I was yelling just after crossing the finish line of the Marathon with a young man of 53 years who had completed Half Marathon in same time as I did. Records, comparison, winning or loosing apart, I was hovering in that 10th cloud of achievement and happiness. Not to miss the opportunity of mutual appraisal, I ran frantically to all my friends to congratulate them and become part of their best moments of life. I always believed that when one gets part of the best or worst moments of someone’s life you are always their best friend and a companion. After running 21 km no one appeared to be enervated and the energy levels were rising to their peaks.

Beyond doubt, those two and half hours of my life would always be memorable and would recur in my mind to rejuvenate and energize my nerves and would make me proud of my living. After completion of the run my friend, Ravi Shankar showed the titles on his newly purchased T-Shirt which sums up the gist of Marathon which is, “If you want to win, run a 100 m race, if you want to experience, make a marathon”. I would remember this quote forever. Ravi Shankar, participating for the third time was all confident of completion. It was evident that he was sure of completion and I was just hoping to try it out and do the best of what I can. That is the mantra of having done once.

More than anything else it was a self assessment for me completing this Half Marathon. Thirteen months back I met with an accident and broke two collar bones and a rib cage bone. The moment it happened, I felt that I would do everything that I can to come back as strong as possible and would face this challenge with courage and with a never give up attitude. Every minute and every day I focused to remain positive and started dreaming of living my life once I recover. I did not take bath for eleven days and could not get up on my own from bed for forty days. It was then that my long unanswered question of “purpose of life” was answered. With this incident the take away was “live every moment of life to its fullest, life is the most beautiful gift you got, energy and joy is what you can generate out of it”. Well, I do not like to preach attitude. One has to find out what way it makes sense for one to lead their life. This recuperating period tuned my mind to endure and to be very patient till the goal is achieved.

I met so many people in the stadium who recovered from major accidents and wanted challenges and one such soul was the creator of Orkut Bangalore Marathon group, Mr Damodar Koya. He initiated practice runs in Lalbagh, Golfview grounds. One hour before that evening when we went to Lalbagh, I was yearning to explore out to capture the beauty of the sky in its tremendous shades of blue and orange in my Camera. Perhaps it is true that if one strongly feels, everything in the world conspires for it. Luckily, Damodar took all of us to Lalbagh for a practice run and I was totally involved in taking pictures. I took the best pictures of my life so far and was very elated. Unknowingly, we shared a great wavelength of passion and it helped in completing the Marathon. It was the first time that I met Damodar and thanks to Ravi for introducing this wonderful person.

I was particularly impressed with the encouragement given to us by every one around us and the arrangements made were tremendous. All through out the race, traffic police made sure that we are not interrupted by the traffic in any way and were given high priority. I could see senior officials of Traffic Police taking care at every juncture of roads. Every two kilo meters we were served water and lemon juices. How can I forget mentioning about that old man in his eighties waiving a flag for encouraging us? I was surprised to find him on my return journey, an hour after and he was still serving water with his beloved hands. “I am this old and I am still active, keep running” were the catalyst for my last 5 km of run.

Felt very nice and lucky to meet very motivated people in this world in one place. Right from the young man at his early fifties and the BITS Pilani college mates and the Orkut group members made the whole journey a worth while experience.

One day before the event, I advertised to every one around me including my office peers about participation and challenged completion. Frankly, this too propelled me to touch that finish line. A good management technique, “commit and advertise, you are bound to complete it”.

Definitely it is not about winning or loosing the race but the experience one would take away and cherish all though out the life is more important.

Thanking every one who made this possible for me. Thanks to Times Group for sponsoring this event and special thanks to Cross Over for all the arrangements. Thanks to Manipal Sanjeevini Group and the Media who covered this entire event. Thanks to all those high spirits. Thanks to BITS alumni association mails which reminded me to prepare for this event. Thanks to Chisel Gym associates Srinivas, Abi, Vandana and Ranjith.

2 Comments:

Blogger Saurabh said...

How I wish, how I wish I were here....

Very well explained Nallan :-)

I will modify Godfather's legeandary statement as

"Life is A Marathon Race...Aspanu"

2:28 AM  
Blogger Raghuram said...

This is indeed very encouraging. Thax for the great ..great ..greatest quote. Elixir

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home